Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I spy a birthday boy

My oldest son is at an age where he will be attending lots of birthday parties so I am increasing my stash of boy birthday cards. I had a bit of fun making this card over the last couple of evenings. I chose this Mo Manning image for a couple of reasons - first, it was "Talk like a pirate day" on the weekend, and second I just LOVE this image. 

I coloured the pirate with Copic markers and then matted it on some scrap cardstock. In fact, all of the cardstock was from my scrap bin! I love how the multi-colour arrow paper mimics the direction the pirate is looking. Since this is a boy's card, the ribbon embellishment is actually some sisal cording that I coloured with Copic to match the pirate coat. The only other embellishment is a chain across the middle fold (made with a EK Success border punch).



The pirate flag is some clipart I found online. I added the "I Spy" wording over top, cut out the image, added a toothpick behind the flag pole and then glued the entire thing to strong cardstock so the entire thing would stand up. What I think is kind-of cool is when the card sits flat, the flag lays down flat too, only to pop up when the card is folded/opened.

A pretty simple card but I find that boys just don't appreciate too much detail and bother.

Challenges:
CCEE Stampers - talk like a pirate
Crafts & Me - easel card
My Time to Craft - kids at play

3 comments:

  1. Great card for a boy Shelley and such a good idea to make a stock of them. Love the layout and the flag x

    ReplyDelete
  2. fa card - love the pirate -thanks for joining in the MTTC challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card for a boy. Thanks for joining us at Crafts and Me. Hugs Tracy x

    ReplyDelete