Friday, October 15, 2010

Too late to stay?

Last night was just wonderful - a dear co-worker is retiring at the end of the month and a small group of us went out to dinner to celebrate. There were plenty of laughs (and no, they weren't all due to the copious amounts of wine) and lots of reminiscing. Anyway, I made this card for the soon-to-be retiree:
I chose Mo Manning's "White Rabbit (Late)" because of his somewhat tired & downtrodden appearance. I also love the time theme since it always seems that something looked forward to will never arrive. I chose very neutral colours (after the card is for a man) when I coloured the rabbit. I cut him out using a Spellbinders die and then inked the edges for a distressed look.

To make the card, I started by stamping pocket watches randomly on a white card blank. The stamps are part of a Recollections set "About Time" that I picked up at Michaels awhile back and I used brown distress ink to keep a vintage/aged look. I inked the card edges and also lightly sponged distress ink over the card to tone down the brightness of the white.


The panels are created with Basic Grey, "manilla basics" matted on green. I love how the manilla paper has text & drawings all over it (so suggestive of paperwork). I inked the edges and added brass brads to the top and bottom of each panel. The sentiment is cut out with a Spellbinders die, inked around the edges and then popped up. The sentiment inside reads "to ask you to stay?".
 
For the final touch, I dissassembled some really ugly ribbon to rescue the brown twine. I wrapped three pieces of the twine around the image and then popped the entire thing up.
 
I'm really proud of this card - I worked quite hard at the shading on the rabbit and I'm thrilled with the overall vintage appearance of the card. Of course, the best complement of all was when my friend told me it was perfect for him!
 
Challenges:
Paper Sundaes - a change of season (moving from worklife to retirement)
Pollycraft Challenge - it's a fairytale (does "Alice in Wonderland" count as a fairy tale? I think so)
Little Red Wagon - something old, something new (he'll kill me, but the recipient is the something old [well, the twine is also really old], the digi image is new)
Papertake Weekly - 3 of a kind (3 panels, 3 pieces of twine, 2 sets of 3 brads)
Tuesday Throwdown - 3 of something (3 panels ...)
Craftalicious - anything goes
Stamping Vacation - no images that start with an "S"
Midnight Madness - sketch

10 comments:

  1. Terrific card! Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is lovely and what a cute little bunny...he looks like he is feeling a bit sorry for himself!! Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh, this is so cute! Adorable image. Thanks for joining us at Papertake Weekly this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real cute ! Thanks for joining our Paper Sundaes challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh what an adorable image! love your papers and take on the sketch! Thanks so much for playing with us this week at the Midnight Madness Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Darsie, MMSCDT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card i love the sweet rabbit. Thanks for joining us at the Craftalicious challenge this time. luv gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never too late! LOL Don't stress...well..maybe if it puts you in a stampin mood! :) Cute, cute card! Love the watches in the background! Rabbit is adorable!

    Thanks so much for playing along with Stamping Vacation's challenges! This earns you entry in the Nov 1st prize drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card, thanks for joining us at Craftalicious. Hugs Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great image! Thanks for sharing at Stamping Vacation!

    ReplyDelete