My sister-in-law always (generously) has my family over for Christmas dinner and I try to take her something to add to her collection of Christmas items. This year I decided to go a bit further and make her gift. I decided to create an advent box based on Disney characters since she has an extensive Disney collection.
The basic advent cube was pretty simple to make using the Quickutz Matchbox die set. Aside from a sore arm from cutting 48 pieces in the Cuttlebug, it came together quite quickly. In past attempts, I've made the cubes by stacking all 6 drawers to one side but this time I decided to stagger them 3 & 3. This decision came about mainly because I couldn't find any appropriate images that were tall enough. Strangely, Disney images seem to veer toward being square or wide.
For the images, I printed off a mix of clip-art and colouring page images. I coloured, embellished and trimmed over a dozen images and then picked my favourite 8. For the embellishments, I used mostly Stickles glitter glue and Glossy Accents.
The images are adhered (using pop-dots) to an embossed rectangle and then matted again onto a flat card. The stickers decorating the backs of the drawers come from a sheet of sticker leftovers.
To make the drawer pulls, I tucked ribbon through each eyelet and then used the Cropodile to attach the eyelets (thereby catching the ribbon ends in the eyelet). It was very exciting to find a use for the red Mickey eyelets as I've had them in my stash for years.
The final step was colouring (using Copics) and glitzing (using frost shimmer mist) an Ezee Pzee snowflake to make a handle for the calendar. After attached the snowflake, I added a rhinestone to each side.
Hard to believe how long this took me to do - it just doesn't photograph well. Trust me, it looks much better in real life!