Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Something to crow about

Today I'm sharing a scrapbook page that I completed about my youngest son's Halloween performance. His kindergarten class has been learning about crows so their Halloween party had a crow theme. All the kids dressed in black and they performed a couple of songs about crows. It was a wonderful performance and, as you can see in the pictures, my son had a great time!

To scrapbook the day, I used a simple layout with bright red and black embellishments. The title is computer generated, as is the journalling block on the page bottom. I framed 2 of the performance pictures with an Ezee Pzee chipboard frame (filmstrip) that I coloured black. I matted the larger photo in black as well. I created the popcorn bucket by covering an Ezee Pzee popcorn bucket die cut with the same red striped paper that I use on the layout. I added some shading to help give definition and depth to the container. For the popcorn itself, first I painted the die cuts using a vanilla colour paint. Then I used a yellow Copic marker to add shading. And then finally, I used a brown marker to draw in some definition lines on the larger pieces. The crow & owl stickers are Martha Stewart (purchased on sale just after Halloween!).

Now that I look at the photograph of the page, I'm considering moving the popcorn bucket and crows up a bit higher - there seems to be a bit too much white space above it. Hmmm. I find it interesting how often I re-evaluate a project when I see it photographed - seems to just present it differently somehow. Do you ever find the same?

Challenges:
Everybody Art Challenge - use shapes (I used several die-cut shapes)
Papertake Weekly - cut it out (use a diecut shape)
Copic Creations - shading your paper-pieced sections
Fab n Funky - go with the flow / anything goes


7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful layout. Gorgeous colours and cute photo's. Thanks for joining us at Papertake Weekly. Hugs Marja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent layout I love the use of the birds. I am also likeing the film strip. I might just have to scraplift this layout!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful LO!!
    thank you for joining EAC this week.
    hugs tina46

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your layout is adorable!
    Crows and popcorn...who'd a think it? ;)
    Thanks so much for joining us this week @ Paper Take Weekly!
    I am now one of your followers.  ;)  I would love it if you came to visit my blog and become a follower too!
    Hugs,
    True :D ~ (PTW Guest Designer)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely layout Shelley, fabulous photographs and colours, great shading of your popcorn bucket and I love those crows!

    So glad you joined us at Copic Creations,
    hugs Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness, this is fantastic! I love it -- very, very creative! So glad you could join us at Copic Creations! Thank you. hugz, Mary

    ReplyDelete