Monday, November 22, 2010

Teacher's gift

Today's project is my first created for the Ezee Pzee Dezign Team. For those of you who aren't aware, Ezee Pzee is a brand-new company producing laser-cut diecuts and albums. The products are fabulous and of the highest quality which makes them a real pleasure to work with! For my first Dezign Team project I chose to use a die cut apple and alpha to embellish an inexpensive chalkboard that I picked up at Michaels.
I decided to go quite rustic so I stained the frame of the chalkboard using Distress Ink and Copic marker. Next I coloured the apple (again using my Copics) and alpha and adhered them to the frame. I had a heck of a time getting the apple just right - at first it was too flat in appearance, but this chipboard is so wonderfully dense I was able to keep working it until I got the look I wanted. The "A B C" were really easy to colour - just a couple of layers with my Copic markers. I didn't put any finish on the chipboard as I wanted its natural brown colour to come through to enhance the rustic feel.

I went back & forth on whether I should add any finish to the shapes but I decided to leave them plain so that, again, the rustic appearance was enhanced. I figured that even a matte finish would be too much.

I love how easily this project came together - colouring the apple was probably the longest step. My plan is to pack this away now for a teacher's thank-you gift although the kids spotted it and are trying to convince me to let them have it. We'll see ....

Challenges:
Papertake Weekly - use Autumn colours
Simon Says Stamp & Show - use your Distress inks
Creative Card Crew - thanks (thank you gift for teacher)

4 comments:

  1. Shelley, what a great idea to use the apples on the Chalk board. I have two projects done already but have not added them to my blog, but will be sometime tomorrow as I think everyone has received their kits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is adorable - very clever and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the classic slate! The apple is cute!!

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love working with Copics! Thanks for playing along with this week's Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge.

    ReplyDelete