Monday, August 16, 2010

It was a kick

It was a busy weekend for card-making. The weather here is stinking hot so I couldn't spend as much time outside as I wanted. Instead I finished up several cards that have been sitting on my workspace. Here is a card that I made for a new friend that I mentioned in an earlier blog posting. Kathy has an engraving business and is just expanding into paper-crafting items (chipboard embellishments mainly). I made this card using one of her die-cut shapes.
I coloured the boot using a couple of different shades of grey and then laced some ribbon through. I had a terrible time coming up with the design for the card as I loved the boot but didn't want the card to end up too masculine in tone (after all, this is for a femal). I ended up using a sketch from Midnight Madness when I realized that the boot was actually a triangle shape. I just love using sketches because this card came together quickly once I had the right sketch in front of me.
The back triangle is a floral paper matted on kraft cardstock. I embossed the red paper strip using one of the new Tim Holtz embossing folders (this one is wood grain) and then added a red flower that I created from some foil and a felt flower. The flower looks kind of crappy in the picture but it actually works well on the "real" card.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Shelley, this is so, so awesome and brilliant. LOVE how the sentiment matches the image. It took me a minute to understand it until I saw the image and sentiment together. What a smart idea using the triangles and your red lacing is absolutely clever!!

    Thanks SO MUCH for playing the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week and I hope you can play with us again next week!!

    Hugs
    pam
    MMSC-GD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly I think your card is fantastic. It is just so fun and fabulous with the great image and the quirky sentiment. Love how that boot laces up. So awesome. Great job with the sketch this week. Thank you for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge.

    Bear Hugs,
    Carol :O}
    Midnight Madness Design Team

    ReplyDelete